Friday, May 11, 2018

Tsunami proof house



Tsunami's are terrible natural disasters that happens when an underwater earthquake creates a huge wave, this wave sometimes crashes into land destroying everything in its path. Thousand of people die through tsunami's and their is not much people can do about it. We built a tsunami proof house that would withstand the pressure and water of a tsunami. We made it a triangle with the point facing the ocean so that it would split the oncoming wave as it crashed towards the house.We made the roof a slant but still a rectangle because this way it would allow the wave to crash on top of the house but all of the water would slide off of it keeping the roof in tact. We decided to make the house out of metal in the real life situation because it is a very accessible resource and common in Japan. The place were we choose our house to be in. We used plastic to represent the acrylic windows that they use in the aquariums because it is very strong. Tsunami's are very dangerous and the best thing you can hope to do during one is get as far away as possible. The strength of the tsunami crumbles buildings as the water drowns houses. But with the technology of the house it is able to withstand the dangers of the tsunami.

Backwards-Looking

Whilst building our model we used a variety of materials. We used pop-sicle sticks, wood, fabric, clear folders and duck tape. I think that the wood and the duck tape were some of the most useful materials because it was strong and water proof, which it just what we needed. I feel as though I would use all of the materials that I had used in this project, again. It was a good structure that did what it was supposed to do and I like that.

Inwards-looking

I think what was especially satisfying about the end result of the project, is that our house survived the tsunami. It was the feeling that it worked that made me happy. This was because just about anyone can come up with an idea and put it on paper, but not even close to that number of people can actually build their ideas and have them work.

Outwards-Looking

I think that when someone looks at my project, I want them to see how much hard work and time was put into the project. I would want them to notice how everything fit together and had a purpose and job in making sure the the house survived the tsunami. Over all I would want people to notice that a lot of hard work was put into the making of this project and that it was thought about.

Forwards-Looking


If I got to do this project over again, I think that I would have spent more time on the little things and not just the big important ones. Things like making the inside look nice, or duck taping the base of the house to make it a little more water resistant, or adding more furniture. Basically I would want my house to actually look and function like a real house. It obviously doesn't have to have electricity or those kinds of things (all though that would be cool), I just want it to feel more like a home, not just a cool looking structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there life in Space?

News | The Solar System and Beyond  by JPL - NASA Have you ever watched sci-fi movies where there are aliens or extraterrestrial life, ...