Friday, March 22, 2019

Thumb Drum | Multi use instrument

Have you ever tried to make a homemade instrument? If you have, have you tried to play a song on it? I know I have. Our instrument is called the thumb drum. A device where you can pluck bobby pins, tap a beat and shake out a rhythm. This was all part of a sound waves unit. Sound waves act and move differently depending on the type of vibration. This is seen through the thumb drum as the different parts of the device make different noises. Playing many different notes, the Thumb Drum is a great musical instrument that you can make using basic at home materials. This instrument was part of a great project in which you made an instrument, played the different notes and studied the different soundwaves and then played a song on the instrument. We found that the appearance of the wave changes when the pitch changes because the waves become closer together when the pitch is higher and the opposite happens when the pitch is lower, we also found that the relationship between frequency and pitch is that the higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the note, the lower that the frequency is the lower than the pitch of the note is. Overall, this has taught me yet another way that we use soundwaves in our life.

Backwards-Looking

I knew many things about sound waves before I started this project. I had worked on this unit for a few weeks before we started the project and was able to know how soundwaves worked. I didn't know much about how to make an instrument though. It was hard to build the instrument because I didn't have many musical experiences and didn't quite understand the making of wind instruments. In the end, I was able to figure out how to make wind instruments, how instruments worked and a lot more about soundwaves than I had known coming into the project.

Inwards-Looking

What satisfies me most about this project is that I was able to build a working and good looking instrument. This was very fun to do and I especially enjoyed being able to make up an instrument and what it could do. I also had fun making the name, Thumb Drum, because I was able to be very creative and it was an overall fun thing to do. I also had lots of fun and am overly satisfied with the way it looks. It is a light purple that is sort of Ambre and the writing of the instrument is good. I think something else I enjoyed was being able to experiment with the sounds and songs as we learned how to play them on our instrument. This was an amazing experience and I loved having the satisfaction of making my very own inventive instrument.

Outwards-Looking

In this project, my group had the same criteria and constraints as everyone else, but we made the project our own. We experimented with making many different instruments instead of just going with one original design. We also made our instrument a few different types of things that are all related to percussion instead of doing a guitar or wind instrument which is what lots of groups ended up doing. I think that we did our instrument different than others, but when it came to doing the sound waves, our results were quite similar, to those of other groups.

Forwards-Looking

One thing I would like to improve upon is time management and not trying to do too much. In our original brainstorm, we had very ambitious designs. We wanted to do a complicated wind instrument and make it look like different animals and play all sorts of different songs. This backfired on us and we spent a whole week of the project trying to get the wind instrument to work. We learned a lot but ended up wasting a lot of clay and time. If I had the chance to try this over again, I would want to save more time and make something that is not too ambitious for what we had to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there life in Space?

News | The Solar System and Beyond  by JPL - NASA Have you ever watched sci-fi movies where there are aliens or extraterrestrial life, ...