Thursday, December 20, 2018

Charity Fair | It Only Takes A Word To Change A Nation

Women Employed Tri-fold by Mackenzie Macdonald


Charities are everywhere, they help with all different things and try to make their community, state, nation, and even the world, a better place. Charities are non-profit organizations dedicated to protecting things or fixing a problem or injustice. Charity Fair is an AdVENTURE event that allows students to research an issue, study and choose a charity, make and sell a product, look at carbon footprints and make an ignite. These products are sold at a student exhibition night, to parents and people, and all of the money goes to the winning charity. The winning charity is decided through the Ignite presentation process. Students will study a charity and make an Ignite presentation to convince people why their charity deserves to win the money. They will present in their classes and their classmates will vote on who has the best charity. Then the winning charity of each class will head off in front of the student council who will, in the end, decide which charity(s) will get the money. But there is more to this project than just charities. Our carbon footprints as humans are huge, we make a gigantic impact on the earth and everything that is on it. Also, there is a lot of business, selling products is a lot harder than it seems, you can't just make a product and put up a booth, there is a lot of advertising and mathematics that goes into making and selling products. You have to figure out how much you are going to sell it for so that you make a reasonable amount of money, but people will still buy it. You also have to figure out just how you are going to make it and how you are going to advertise it and make it so that people want to buy your product. This year, my group and I, choose to make bath bombs for our product. It was a lot of work and took time, but in the end, it was worth it. Our charity, Women Employed, works to get women fair work spaces, equal pay and get young women through college, empowering women and making a difference in their community. We got second in our class with our Ignite Presentation, and grown a lot since we first started.

Backward-Looking

I have definitely gotten better at doing this work over the years. I have improved upon my presentation skills and learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses. I have also worked on my time management, which was one of my big goals from years past. I have gotten better and making quality products and working efficiently. It has been a very fun and instructive time here at AdVENTURE STEM and I have had a really good time growing and learning. I think I have definitely grown a lot and can see all of my progress, overall, it was a very successful time at charity fair.  

Inward-Looking

This year, my standards were to make my presentation look really good and get int the class top three, sell out of our products by the end of Charity Fair exhibition night, and to make sure that my work looked good and professional. Finally, I wanted to try my best and have fun this year. I believe that I have not only achieved, but exceeded this years standards. I not only sold out, but sold out less than half-way through the night, I made it into second place for our class and I was able to make my work look great and had an excellent time and enjoyed myself.

Outward-Looking

When people, especially adults, look at my work, I want them to realize just how much of an effort I have put into it and how much I have grown. I started as a fifth grader clutching my script and shaking presenting in front of my own class, now as an eighth grader, I am confident in my abilities and don't even look at my note card. In fifth grade, my products were messy and cute, not neat and professional. I think that I have put a lot of effort into my work and grown, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally. I want people to see how going through this program has made me a better person and a better worker, and that you can do anything you set your mind to.

Forward-Looking

If I had a chance to do something like charity fair again, I would like to learn from my mistakes. I would make a product that more people would want or need. I would make sure that my presentation was as perfect as it could be and that I changed it to be better every time that I got feedback or a compliment so that my Ignite could be really great. I think I would also like to spend more time working and improving on something, then going through it, getting an A, and then moving on. Everything has room to be improved upon and I think that that is something that I overlooked this year while I was working on my project. I will always have room for improvement and I think that making those improvements is something that I need to spend ore time doing,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there life in Space?

News | The Solar System and Beyond  by JPL - NASA Have you ever watched sci-fi movies where there are aliens or extraterrestrial life, ...