Saturday, January 7, 2017

Guessing genetics

http://www.freepik.com/free-icon/question-mark_731610.htm
http://www.med.upenn.edu/genetics/


Have you ever wanted a certain breed of dog or pet? Have you ever wondered how they got that dog to be that certain breed? The answer is cross breeding. Many pet shop owners do this. Where they take two dogs of two different breeds and cross breed them. But how do they know what results they're going to get and if they are the results they want? They use the punnett square. The punnett square was invented by Reginald Punnett. The Punnett square is used to organize the chances of your pet getting to be the breed you want it to be. But once you get your punnett square how do you know what the breed will be?

You would know because 75-100% of dominant will mean it will probably get the dominant trait and 75-100% recessive will mean it will probably get the recessive trait. If it is 25-50%  dominant or recessive they will probably try to breed the animal with a different one of that animal. Usually that will happen to all of the traits and they will decide if they need to breed it with a different type depending on what percent is the trait they want. They do this till they get the breed they want. This method can be used to determine and guess any living things traits.


S&EP
SP4

I made a model of the data that I collected throughout my experiments when I made a drawing of what my superhero's traits would look like. She would have super strength, can climb, can fly, and has super speed. I drew all four of these traits. It also helped me see more of what my superhero would be able to do and pulled together everything that I had collected over the course of finding out my superheros traits using punnett squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there life in Space?

News | The Solar System and Beyond  by JPL - NASA Have you ever watched sci-fi movies where there are aliens or extraterrestrial life, ...